Yesterday Pres started big boy gymnastics. Previously the parents were part of the action, now we are just the audience. When class first started he lined up on the "green line" as directed and they headed for the floor to do some exercises. He trotted off (on his own!!) with a band of other 2.5-3.5 year olds while following the direction of his coach. They look like a momma duck and her ducklings. Right when he walked away I was in tears. Reg and I both thought he would be leery of this independence...he fooled us. So amazing that he can move on without a hitch. While I was blubbering Reg was also working out his emotions. He likened it to the feeling that we get when we go out without Pres...like something is missing, felt like he had a bubble in his chest. Both of us were both just full of pride. There are certain emotions that I wish I could bottle...this is one I would like to be able to revisit.
Monday we were on day 7 of potty training. We have had a few accidents and I am fearful of getting too ahead of myself knowing that any second I could be mopping up Pres-processed juice or lunch. We are just getting the hang of going out in public without a diaper bag, not carrying dipes and wipes to the bathroom and questioning Pres regularly about his relief needs. We made a trip to the mall to grab a quick bite and get Reg a haircut. Pres and I went to the playground and I explained that if he had to go use the potty just to let me know. Sure enough after about 30 min of play he informed me he needed to go to the restroom. We headed to the bathroom and took care of business. I was standing in the stall with him and just started crying...so thrilled he is getting the hang of it but sad he is growing up so quick. Even writing this now I am a little weepy. Anyway after that momentous occasion of Preston prompting his own potty break I talked Regan into a trip to Chuck E Cheese to celebrate. To say Reg hates Chuck E Cheese is an understatement. We actually had a good time playing games, collecting tickets and buying a "purple throwing thing" (read:Frisbee).
Bittersweet to see this monster grow up...

3 comments:
Ah, making memories. Good stuff. But what is this "emotion" thing you keep referring to?
ah, don't tell the docs about that lump thing, or "they" will go in and remove it.
you know that fluttery feeling you got in your belly when you preordered Fable (whether or not you were wearing your cape is probably moot) that, dearest, is the emotion of anticipation.
Good advice, Sean. Noted.
Post a Comment