Monday, June 28, 2010

Aunt Lola

Whenever Regan's mom mentions this aunt of hers she always uses the phrase that "if she were to look in the mirror she wouldn't recognize herself". This weekend I found myself thinking about how much we have changed in the last few months. Regan went from living to surviving. Preston went from a baby boy to a big boy. I have changed from being the care-free care takee to being a worried care taker. So strange to think about what different people we could be in the span of a few months.

I think I noticed the change in Regan this weekend. He was telling a story about some folks smoking out in front of MD Anderson which is a cancer center. The smokers were right next to some folks who were obviously there doing chemo and had gone out for a walk. There were some attendants that tried to wave off the smokers but the fact that the smokers didn't think to not pass on 2nd hand smoke to those battling cancer (possibly even lung cancer) whom already have diminished immunities really got Regan upset. Additionally, Reg is now sporting a black bracelet that says "say it, fight it, cure it". He has crossed over into this other community. A community of survivors and fighters without me even knowing it. His acceptance of all things melanoma is impressive. He will do whatever it takes to be healthy. Did I mention he is my Superman?

Regan is doing well post op. The incision is about 8inches long in an s-shape, it is accompanied by the drain tube and reservoir. He is recovering well but really needs to slow down and rest. I think he over did it yesterday by trying to get back to his normal routine, he is paying for it today. Relaxing with some pain meds. I stayed home to look after him. I guess I need to stop calling him Superman so he takes it easy! We should hear the pathology results for his lymph nodes within the next few days and then will push forward with a treatment plan. Praying the lymph nodes are clear and cancer free! Plastic surgeon will take a look at his face tomorrow to see how it is healing and then schedule round 2 of trophy husband rehab.

We moved Preston out of his toddler bed and into his full size bed. In doing this all the things that we had decorated his nursery with were moved out. His room is so big boy now. It looks really great and he loves the "big boy bed". He has slept well the past 2 nights. Kenzy and Pres tested it out for jumping and it appears to have passed the test. We are quite pleased with how sturdy it is. Very neat that his bed is made from parts of his crib, I think I will always have an emotional tie to that furniture. Feels like he is gonna be 3 any second and then off to college. Wish I could slow this roller coaster down!

I am along for the ride and trying to roll with the punches. My life in cliches! Just trying to be supportive and take care of the boys as much as I can. Appointment maker, calendar manager, travel planner and wound cleaner will all be added to my resume. In between I am still asking God "why us?" and taking a few minutes every day to have a pity party. Thanne tells us there will be a blessing in all this. I am not very good with suspense stories, I wish someone would send me a memo and clue me in! Work is work...odd thing to feel guilty about not being at work while also feeling guilty about not being with Reg.

Overall we are doing great. Staying busy and surrounded by friends and family, when we can, is the goal most days. Thanks for all the well wishes, positive thoughts and prayers. We have heard from so many folks who are thinking about Regs, we are so appreciative. I like to think that God is at his desk answering prayers and is thinking "Alright already! I will look after Regan!". Hope all is well in your part of the world. For those of you in Spokane...see ya soon!! xoxox

No comments: