Monday, February 23, 2009

Rocky Mountain High

We know, we know! We said no more traveling and yet we traveled. This time we blame Karley's brother Chris. He decided to blow through Denver for work so we had to meet him. What better opportunity would there be to go visit an uncle only 6 hours away? We had a family conference and it was decided...Denver here we come!

We took off Friday after an uneventful week. Packing was easy as it was only a weekend and most everything from last weekend was still ready to go. Although we got out late we made good time and got there in time to catch some zzz's and then wake to some Denver family fun. Chris had not seen Preston since Christmas so they had a fun reunion. It took Pres a bit to warm to his uncle but any guy who would share his pancakes is good-people in Pres's book.

We started off in the Children's Museum in Denver...loads of kids and even more parents. Lots of cool exhibits including a toddler room that is all squishy with stairs, ramps, bumps and slides to navigate. We were getting ready to leave the museum for the next destination when the fire alarm went off. Seeing a bunch of kids and parents evacuate was interesting and the parade of fire trucks were a hit!

We moved on to the aquarium which was one of the best that we have been too. Different habitats and climates for the varieties of fish including sea, rain forest and desert. The desert included a display that showed you how fast a flash flood occurs. Needless to say we stood too close, the glass did not protect us and the lesson was learned...flash flood bad. We all hustled to get Preston out of the way but by then the damage was done, he was soaked! The rain forest section had a few tigers in it. Found it quite humorous that the guide had told us that they could only have one of their 4 tigers out at a time as they are solitary creatures. Had she turned around she would have seen 2 of her tigers listening to the tour.

Besides those attractions we went to REI, did some shopping, Pres built-a-bear...er...monkey and we visited some local eateries. Overall just a good time to hang out with Chris and be in the big city. Sad we can't do that more often but oh well...until next time.

Back in the hustle and bustle of Rapid City we had gymnastics awards night. Yep that's right...go to one class you get a picture...go to 4 and you get an award! It was pretty cute to see Pres scamper up there and get his ribbon (although his actual goal was to be close to the balloons).

That's it, nothing else going besides our newest pact to not travel until this summer. So if you want to come for a visit, we will be home! Hope your adventures are just as spectacular.

xoxo
Reg, Karl, Pres and the animals

BTW 1: HAPPY BIRTHDAY ETHAN (5), RILEIGH (5) & OWEN(1)!!!!

BTW 2: Check this link out, my 62 yr old dad giving racing a whirl after a decade hiatus. At 1min 30 sec you will see a blue/yellow car giving chase to a silver car and then the excitement begins. He had a great time but the result was a broken axle, concussion, bloody nose, bruised ribs, chest cavity & sternum and pulled neck muscles. Got to give him credit for going out there after the long break and tearing it up! Kudos Pops!

4 comments:

HyenaProf said...

BTW 2: I am sorry, but hearing the engines made me laugh. After hearing the big engines, the little bree bree, made me think of our (Halsted) version of little dirt bikes.
Now, I would have been the one driving the pink truck. All that was going through my head was how much those things cost, and I would not be taking those bumps with any agressiveness. -that is if I could afford the pink truck. I think my vehicle would be the pink "bree bree" dune buggy

HyenaProf said...

That and my only experience with this type of racing is through the XBOX -I know how not good I am on the Box, so it would only seem logical that in real life, I would either be spinning out all over the place, or moving at a snails pace.
The flip looked rather fun though. -in slow motion, the second time, after I knew what to expect.

HyenaProf said...

Glad you had fun in Denver. Now I think the next time I have a lay-over, I won't spend it all admiring the Jenny, or "civi" C-21

HyenaProf said...

ummm.....no MAP!!??
I know where Denver is! that's not what I am saying at all. What is so wrong about using the map? is it hard to use? Do you need a map button? maybe a GPS camera?